Saturday, May 2, 2015

ARC Review: From the Ashes by Shelby K. Morrison

My rating: 5/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: Legend of the Liberator #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy (High Fantasy), Magic
Published: May 3rd 2015 by Shelby K. Morrison
Pages: 274 pages (ebook)
Source: Received from author

Links: Goodreads - author website 

Summary (from Goodreads)
For eighteen years Aia Wynnald has lived a lie. Raised as a highborn in the Kingdom of Tharien, she’s filled her days with tutors and archery lessons. But simmering beneath her polite surface is a dangerous gift, one which she must keep a secret. Aia is a Bender. And in Tharien, Benders are feared and hunted.
When her unruly power breaks free with dire repercussions, Aia’s lifelong goal of independence shatters. As she scrambles to piece her life back together while evading capture, she disturbs a vengeful force intent on destroying the kingdom.
Now, with the help of an unlikely ally, Aia will decide the fate of Tharien. To rescue those she cares about will require accepting what she is. But can she risk becoming the monster she’s dreaded to save the very citizens baying for her blood?


My Thoughts

Basically this is about bending – sadly, not really like in Avatar, with the four elements etc. but umm. Different. They can bend what is around them, for example trees or even buildings.

From the Ashes is compelling from the very first page on and it does not lessen throughout the whole book, so that led to me saying “’Kay, at the beginning of chapter three I will stop reading and go to sleep. Wait: This is already the beginning of chapter seven? Noo, that can’t be. I just started the book!”

It was a bit like watching a movie: You didn’t feel like reading or actually doing something - At least, not in this world. The City was so realistic, the hate and mistrust tangible and still it was comprehensible. People had their reasons and it actually wasn’t completely their fault, since they were raised this way. It just meant that they probably weren’t brave enough to question what they were taught.

My favorite things about this book are the characters: Almost every time when I thought: “And now she’s going to do something.” She did not. And then I assumed she would do it later and she did not. She did something completely different. It surprised me every time.

And the characters all had reasons for their actions. No one did anything out of sheer spite, but rather out of loss, shock or self-protection. I think it’s very important; to teach that there is no good and bad in the world.

I love this cover! Yes, I am one of those people: I judge books by their covers. In this case I chose to read it before it even had a cover (Yeah, I’m proud.) and I must say: This cover is clearly living up to the book. Okay, maybe not clearly: The book is still a little more awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment