Sunday, September 13, 2015

Review: Run Away Charlotte by H. M. Shander

My rating: 1/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Abuse
Published: December 2014 by Createspace
Pages: 324 (Paperback)
Source: Received from author

Links: Goodreads 

Summary (from Goodreads)
Trusting and depending on others has never suited nineteen-year-old Charlotte Cooper, who believes she’s unworthy of a happily ever after. She’s fiercely loyal to one - her BFF Joe. Afterall, Joe’s the only one who knows everything about Charlotte and he’s sworn to protect her heart, and her deep dark secrets. 

Until Andrew Wagner walks into her life. 

Despite his attempts to court Charlotte, she pushes him away, believing he can’t handle her past shadows. After a horrible accident, she slowly learns to trust and depend on him. As she shares her darkest secrets, he falls in love with her. Several incidents thrust the young lovers together, and Charlotte falls hard, giving her whole being to Andrew. While trying to be everything he can for Charlotte, he struggles to find the balance between family, school, love and commitment.

However, their different definitions of love and what it means to love unconditionally come to a head after Andrew spends a summer abroad and Charlotte crosses a line. His reaction sends a devastated Charlotte into the arms of Jack, an older man who can successfully balance what Andrew failed to do. He puts Charlotte first, treating her like a princess while capitalizing on her vulnerability. He gives her everything her heart desires… except Andrew.

When it comes to matters of the heart and mind, which direction do you follow? Love or Logic?

My Thoughts


I’m not a writer myself, but a lot of people told me that if I ever wanted to write a book I should try to stay away from adjectives as much as possible. Most of these people were writers, so to be honest I remembered that sentence pretty fast and made it one of my golden rules. You know, in case I ever write something myself.

Therefore, when I started reading “Run Away Charlotte” I was not only a bit irritated. There are adjectives everywhere. Sometimes one in a sentence and in the very next sentence there is another one and sometimes even two or three in a row. For the first time I understood why these people told me to stay away from them (although I do tend to use not only a few adjectives in an essay myself): I got bored really easily and it took me ages to even get into the book and still, after I got interested in the story the slow pace and the writing scared me off well enough to decide not to finish this at 60%. Another thing was that everything felt really far away and even though the characters’ decisions may have been realistic they did not feel realistic. They felt as if I already knew them, had already seen them a thousand times. It was the same with some of their situations and problems.

 There were too many difficulties. Maybe that’s just what I think and everyone else doesn’t see that as a problem or as weird but it’s just so much to deal with. I can’t imagine one person who has to suffer through so many things. At the same time the characters keep talking about her bad phases - so how come that during these phases where she has a bad time and is sad etc. the story is never from her point of view? It was only how the other people (mainly Andrew, who was called “Drew” all of a sudden) felt about those times. And the next scene – boom- everything was okay again and the biggest worry was whether he talked to her all the time or not.

Some of the chapters were mainly dialogue with little else and others were just descriptions and thoughts that tended to be a little random and slowed the story down. Oh and talking of the dialogues: So many times when she talked to Joe somewhere in the dialogue she either looked or thought about the green deepness of his eyes. And he’s her best friend. The funny thing was that there weren’t nearly as much descriptions of Andrew as of Joe

Although the point of view was from the third person singular it always felt like the first somehow, perhaps because of the many thoughts and feelings, but I’m not sure. And then all of a sudden the point of view would change in the middle of a dialogue without any kind of marking or switching the chapter (which obviously would have been impossible in the middle of a dialogue as well.) and that usually left me blinking at the page blankly.


All in all I do not recommend this book to anyone, even though I did notice that quite a lot of people gave it four or five stars. Sorry, but to me it was just not convincing enough to get me to give it more than one or two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment